Sunday, May 15, 2005

Sage nods and geni

Just had a long chat with Sheep. Setting the world to rights. Or at least sharing our cynicsm about relationships and how they are similar to restaurants, talking about how strange it will be to be grown up and furnising apartments and trying to work out when we first became friends. Gonna miss these impromptu late night chats. Furnishings may be cool, but they won't be as cool as having friends all close by. So Sheep you better come live with me! Though preferably in some professional capacity of your own rather than as a career-leech/my housekeeper :p.

People playing croquet outside of my window today - wtf?? We're finalists, people aren’t allowed to have FUN around us!

Anyway. Been doing more revision. Part of me is quite settling into this little revision routine - it can be quite satisfying to actually spend the time learning and understanding things. It did strike me the other day that I would be a complete genius by now if I had worked like this for the last 2 years of my course.. Ah well, the joys of hindsight eh. Other days though, I just can't wait for it to be over. One good day invariably seems to be followed by another crappy day - I wake up knackered and just can't focus and feel like I'm never going to know or understand enough. I've started doing more positive visualisations (hey, they worked for interviews). Keep doing them until the exam I think, boost that confidence.

The SSL is fast becoming the social hub of the entire university. I am seeing way more of all my non-college friends this term. Pity we don't tend to have that much to talk about. With PPEists its ok, have added a psychologist to my network though, conversations tend to go a bit like this:

Me: Hey
Friend: Hey
Me: So how's it going?
Friend: Good, you?
Me: Yeah I'm good, you know, revision... *Glance at the notes on the table in front of him* So what you working on today?
Friend: Adrenaline
Me: Oh right. *Insert some slightly suspect joke about stress and adrenaline and exams* Heh heh.
Friend: Yeah... *says something complicated about brain chemicals etc etc*
Me: *nod sagely.*
Friend: what are you up to?
Me: Electoral systems *try and launch into some detailed description about why its really interesting right now - how topical it is and how Britain would be best adopting a single transferable voting system but how that might lead to catch-all parties and what the hell would that do to the whip but that neither of the big parties are likely to support any reform anyway because its not in their interests and how it could all so easily go wrong, just like in Israel with their bright-but-not idea to have a directly elected PM..*
Friend: aah...
Both of us: *Gaze into space for a couple of minutes, desperately searching for something interesting to say. Shuffle our notes*
Both of us: well, yeah, better get back to it... later...

So, maybe working like crazy would have turned me into a genius, but it may also have made me a social recluse. On balance, I guess not spending 8 hours a day in the library for the last two years maybe wasn't such a bad thing after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home