Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Before Sunset

I just watched 'Before Sunset' again. I love that film. I think I do still like it better than the first one. They're older, not so idealistic, so maybe it seems more realistic. And even more poignant, because now, second time round, you know they mustn't let the other get away, so throughout you sit holding your breath, waiting to see whether they do end up just talking again, just making the brief connection, or whether this time they really seize the moment and are prepared to risk allowing the connection to be permanent. I didn't realise how profoundly it had affected me, how many little bits of it have kept playing on in my subconscious since I saw it the first time round. And it's so subtle, like with the first one, the emotion is portrayed with just a glance or a gesture. A hand reaching out to touch the other but pulled back at the last moment, a look of longing or sadness, an angry outburst that you know is misdirected, but genuine nonetheless. It's harder to be as cynical about this one than it is about the first because they themselves aren't so naive, so even jaded people who don't believe true love happens outside of the movies, but still deep inside wish that the happy endings could be true if only life didn't get in the way, can find something to identify with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home