Day in the Life #4
Woke up at 11 today. Wow, lie in. Managed that after callously booting Nia out this morning, or, more accurately, closing the door in her face as she tried to follow me in from the bathroom. Well, she woke me up at 6 yesterday, desperate times call for desperate measures. She obviously hasn’t held it against me since she is sat purring on my lap now.
Felt very lazy this morning. Spent ages reading random stuff on the internet and chatting to some guy who I think was confused by my change of MSN name. He gave me links to the livejournals of his friends who have travelled in South America though, so perhaps random MSN people are actually blessings in disguise. Got an email from my cousin in the States saying that my aunt has cancer. Kind of sad. Especially for my dad since his family has been going through a bit of a rough time, he’s lost a brother and a nephew already in the last few months.
Breakfast/lunch – last nights stir-fry with the addition of sesame seeds and extra soy sauce.
Looked askance at the grey sky outside and texted Dave to see if he really wanted to play tennis today. He did, so I made an immense effort, dragged myself off my bed, put some clothes on and met him at the court. It seems that we need crap balls for us to be able to play good tennis. He had brought some proper ones today (since we had wrecked all four of the cheapo ones he brought before), and they were bouncing all over the place. That, coupled with the rather slippery courts (yes, I did end up on my arse, just once though), and the wind, meant that our tennis playing skills were notable only for their absence today.
Back home, still feeling lazy. Read the paper and procrastinated. Ate dinner – baked potato and cheese and beans. Realised if I was going to make it to my friends even vaguely on time I’d better get a move on. Ran a bath. Got in. Didn’t move. Noticed time was still passing even though I wasn’t moving. Washed. Max called. Chatted to her. Noticed that clock was running away with itself. Stopped talking to Max. Tried to hurry up. Dressed, out, bus stop, town, just missed bus, damn. Wait at bus stop, text Dee to check where to get off. Wait some more. Finally bus, on, Dee’s house. Lots and lots of people. Introduced to her Canadian boyfriend. She seems happy and thus I am unable to be cynical. It’s very sweet. She met him whilst on holiday in Cuba and I guess it was love at first sight or something similar. Especially since I think they were only both in Cuba at the same time for three days, but he has come all the way to England to visit and seemed to survive the meeting of all her friends and family all at once and is planning to move to England in May or June. Oh to be able to fall that easily rather than being cynical and jaded and all the rest of it.
Despite only really knowing Dee and her parents at the party and just recognising her cousins, I had a really nice time. I’m hardly ever surrounded by Jamaicans, so that was kind of good for the soul. As was seeing how people from different backgrounds can build a lasting bond. Standing around, drinking sorrel, chatting with her cousin, listening to the jokes, seeing Dee looking all happy and in love, fun times. Maybe this proves that Libra/Virgo relationships really can work out. Or maybe its all in the Cosmo lovescopes... I like how Nottingham is small enough that there is still a sense of community. You see people around and recognise them and realise that all these people you see, you’re connected to somehow, friends of friends, family, family of friends, friends of family, whatever. It’s nice. I wish I was better connected. I never feel like I’m totally a Nottingham person, I guess since I’ve not been here very much these last few years, and I didn’t go to the right schools or live in the right areas to properly build the networks. But even though I’m not 100% part of the connections, I think I will miss them when I go to London and suddenly everyone is anonymous.
Didn’t manage to talk to Saul, despite it being our three month anniversary today. Sob. Still, by my reckoning there are several other dates that could be used as possible anniversaries instead, so just will have to chat to him on one of those.
Nia’s hopped off, and I think I am ready for bed.
Felt very lazy this morning. Spent ages reading random stuff on the internet and chatting to some guy who I think was confused by my change of MSN name. He gave me links to the livejournals of his friends who have travelled in South America though, so perhaps random MSN people are actually blessings in disguise. Got an email from my cousin in the States saying that my aunt has cancer. Kind of sad. Especially for my dad since his family has been going through a bit of a rough time, he’s lost a brother and a nephew already in the last few months.
Breakfast/lunch – last nights stir-fry with the addition of sesame seeds and extra soy sauce.
Looked askance at the grey sky outside and texted Dave to see if he really wanted to play tennis today. He did, so I made an immense effort, dragged myself off my bed, put some clothes on and met him at the court. It seems that we need crap balls for us to be able to play good tennis. He had brought some proper ones today (since we had wrecked all four of the cheapo ones he brought before), and they were bouncing all over the place. That, coupled with the rather slippery courts (yes, I did end up on my arse, just once though), and the wind, meant that our tennis playing skills were notable only for their absence today.
Back home, still feeling lazy. Read the paper and procrastinated. Ate dinner – baked potato and cheese and beans. Realised if I was going to make it to my friends even vaguely on time I’d better get a move on. Ran a bath. Got in. Didn’t move. Noticed time was still passing even though I wasn’t moving. Washed. Max called. Chatted to her. Noticed that clock was running away with itself. Stopped talking to Max. Tried to hurry up. Dressed, out, bus stop, town, just missed bus, damn. Wait at bus stop, text Dee to check where to get off. Wait some more. Finally bus, on, Dee’s house. Lots and lots of people. Introduced to her Canadian boyfriend. She seems happy and thus I am unable to be cynical. It’s very sweet. She met him whilst on holiday in Cuba and I guess it was love at first sight or something similar. Especially since I think they were only both in Cuba at the same time for three days, but he has come all the way to England to visit and seemed to survive the meeting of all her friends and family all at once and is planning to move to England in May or June. Oh to be able to fall that easily rather than being cynical and jaded and all the rest of it.
Despite only really knowing Dee and her parents at the party and just recognising her cousins, I had a really nice time. I’m hardly ever surrounded by Jamaicans, so that was kind of good for the soul. As was seeing how people from different backgrounds can build a lasting bond. Standing around, drinking sorrel, chatting with her cousin, listening to the jokes, seeing Dee looking all happy and in love, fun times. Maybe this proves that Libra/Virgo relationships really can work out. Or maybe its all in the Cosmo lovescopes... I like how Nottingham is small enough that there is still a sense of community. You see people around and recognise them and realise that all these people you see, you’re connected to somehow, friends of friends, family, family of friends, friends of family, whatever. It’s nice. I wish I was better connected. I never feel like I’m totally a Nottingham person, I guess since I’ve not been here very much these last few years, and I didn’t go to the right schools or live in the right areas to properly build the networks. But even though I’m not 100% part of the connections, I think I will miss them when I go to London and suddenly everyone is anonymous.
Didn’t manage to talk to Saul, despite it being our three month anniversary today. Sob. Still, by my reckoning there are several other dates that could be used as possible anniversaries instead, so just will have to chat to him on one of those.
Nia’s hopped off, and I think I am ready for bed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home